Does a school’s athletic success (or lack of it) affect its fundraising?
Everyone loves to rally around a winner. The best get better, the biggest get bigger and those with the most funds just seem to get richer. Everyone else, it seems, gets caught in the cycle of needing to raise more money to improve their sports programs…but find little enthusiasm for raising funds. While studies do vary, it’s no surprise that there appears to be some correlation between a school’s win-loss record in sports and its ability to successfully fundraise, especially at the collegiate level. Maybe it’s the age-old conundrum, “Which came first, the chicken or the egg?” Poor funding drags athletics down and losing records hamper people’s willingness to give.
But there is good news for those schools mired in losing seasons!
A successful high school fundraiser, especially one aimed at boosting your athletic programs, can inspire your school, your students and your supporters. The success of a fundraiser can help instill school pride, ignite school spirit and pave the way for the entire community to start rooting for your success on the playing fields. After all, win or lose, hometowns love their teams. When a school shows they care enough about their sports programs to ask for their community’s support, it’s easy to get everyone on board.
Choose the Right Game Plan for Success
When you are struggling to raise funds and school spirit is no time to gamble on the success of your fundraiser. Luckily, there is a fundraising option available that has a proven track record of delivering profits.
This is step-by-step game plan will produce a big win and big profits for your program:
- Set a fundraising goal. Choose an amount that everyone can rally behind. But don’t be afraid to aim high. Athletes and their supporters thrive on reaching for goals.
- Choose a product to sell that complements the healthy lifestyle sports promote. Remember, you’re asking people to support an athletic endeavor. Cookies, candy, and sugary drinks might sell at low price points, but they run counter to the purpose of sports.
- Sell the right product… You are selling to family, friends and neighbors. Most of your sales are to people you know and live in your community. Why would you sell anything other than a high quality product? With Yankee Candle Fundraising, your supporters choose from the same well-known, high-quality products they buy everyday.
- …at the right price. Yankee Candle Fundraising offers its products at the same price your family and friends find them at in stores or online.
- Score big profits. Just looking at percentage of profits is a narrow-minded approach. You might receive 90% profit on a $1 item, but have to sell dozens and dozens to creep toward your goal. Or, by earning $10 on the sale of one Yankee Candle, you’d only have to sell 10 to reach $100 profit.
- Let the website do the heavy lifting. One of the easiest ways to raise money is through a website your supporters can order from no matter where they live. If you are raising money using Yankee Candle Fundraising, you are in luck—the work of preparing a website is already done. Yankee Candle Fundraising’s website is in place, ready for supporters to shop for your cause no matter where they live. They can order directly and easily from there and the profits go straight to you.
Get your season off to a great start with a sports fundraiser that’s easy, profitable, and offers products your supporters love to buy. And when your school’s athletes see how much their community is behind them, turning losing records into winning ones gets that much easier!
Submit your review