Running a successful fundraiser for your church
It’s easy to get fired up when planning a mission trip for your youth group or a special outreach into the community. But the next step time is often the hardest: Deciding what type of fundraiser will produce the best results and will be a comfortable fit for your church’s mission. Those considerations, plus time and budget constraints, make it important to focus on fundraising ideas that produce proven results and don’t run counter to what you stand for.
Get your church fundraiser off to the right start
The first thing you need to do is set a fundraising goal. Whether it is per person (in the case of individuals going on a missions trip) or a total goal (i.e., contributing to a homeless shelter), choose an amount that your team can rally behind and your supporters can strive for. Everyone performs better with a specific goal in mind. Here are some quick ideas and things to consider before you embark on your fundraising:
- Product vs. Event Fundraisers. One of the main differences in fundraisers is whether you sell a product or put on an event. Often an event can achieve great interest and good results in the first year, despite the time and up-front cost to put it on. But fatigue—for both volunteers and supporters—can set easily set in after the initial excitement. Product fundraisers usually have the advantage of a selling system already in place with little or no upfront commitment.
- The Unhealthy Food Debate. There was a time when nearly everyone was eager to chip into a cause by buying candy bars, cookies and other non-nutritious “food” items. With the emphasis now on health and fitness, unhealthy food is increasingly becoming a tough sell.
- On-Line vs. Catalog Sales. Forget the debate, you’ll have more success with a combination of catalog and on-line sales. Catalogs are a great tool for selling in person, while on-line sales broaden the reach of your fundraiser immensely. Successful fundraisers make use of both these important tools.
- Sell the right product… Remember, you are selling to family, friends and neighbors. Most of your sales are to people you know. Why would you sell anything other than a high quality product? With Yankee Candle Fundraising, your supporters choose from the same well-known, high-quality products they buy everyday.
- …at the right price. We offer our products at the same price your family and friends find them for in stores or online.
- Reap big profits. Just looking at percentage of profits is a narrow-minded approach. You might receive 90% profit on a $1 item, but have to sell dozens and dozens to creep toward your goal. Or, by earning $10 on the sale of one Yankee Candle, you’d only have to sell 10 to reach $100 profit.
- Let the website do the heavy lifting. One of the easiest ways to raise money is through a website your supporters can order from no matter where they live. If you are raising money using Yankee Candle Fundraising, you are in luck—the work of preparing a website is already done. Yankee Candle Fundraising’s website is in place, ready for supporters to shop for your cause. They can order directly and easily from there and the profits go straight to you.
Your church fundraiser is an important project. Making it a success is equally as important. The right product at the right price will deliver proven results without overworking your church or your team.